THE NARSIL PROJECT

TEAM
AURELIEN COLLOC
TOOLS
3DSMAX / SUBSTANCE / UNITY3D
DURATION
OCT - NOV 2021
FIELDS
3D / CODE / LIGHTING

OVERVIEW

This project aimed to construct a 3D environment featuring a scene along with its variations. Drawing inspiration from "The Lord of the Rings" universe, I decided to focus on the iconic broken sword known as "Narsil." The project revolves around depicting this legendary sword and its associated setting.

OBJECTIVE

Initially, my goal was to independently craft a lifelike 3D scene from start to finish. I began by conducting thorough research on my selected theme and gathering references to inform the creation of my envisioned scene. Subsequently, I curated moodboards featuring various elements and landscapes inspired by the Middle Earth universe, ultimately opting to juxtapose a "bright scene" against a "dark scene".

As this process was entirely novel to me, my final objectives remained somewhat nebulous throughout the project. Consequently, I found myself continuously reassessing my approach to ensure its feasibility and alignment with my evolving vision.

PROCESS

3D: The initial phase involved modeling all assets required for the scene to establish their basic shapes, a task accomplished using 3dsMax. Utilizing image references, particularly for intricate objects such as the helmet and sword, I meticulously crafted each item. Subsequently, I proceeded to unwrap each asset before exporting them to Adobe Substance Painter for further detailing.

SUBSTANCE PAINTER: After completing the 3D modeling phase, I proceeded to apply textures, alphas, and grunge effects to the assets. This step aimed to imbue the objects with realism by adding depth and detail. Additionally, I endeavored to infuse each object with a unique identity and narrative, contributing to the creation of an atmospheric scene.

UNITY: I imported all the objects into Unity to assemble the scene and implement post-processing effects, lighting enhancements, and animations. Opting for Unity offered advantages in terms of performance and fluidity. Additionally, it provided the opportunity to incorporate impressive effects such as airborne particles and dynamic lighting.

CONCLUSION

This project significantly contributed to my growth in 3D modeling expertise and experience. It consumed approximately 200 hours of dedicated effort and was undertaken as part of my studies at "Arts et Métiers" of Laval.